Monday, August 20, 2012

Media Survey

Media is all around us seeking to influence us. At times it can seem very entertaining and have a subtle message. Others are overt and practically scream their message. Over the past week I have logged my "media exposure" and will discuss it below. 

  • Saturday: Piddled on facebook for 2 hrs. (games, chat, etc.)
    • Worked on Business Website for 2hrs.
  • Sunday:Piddled on facebook for 2 hrs. (games, chat, etc.)
  • Monday: Piddled on facebook for 2 hrs. (chat)
    • Listened to Pandora online radio- 1 hr. 
    • Worked on Business Website for 1hr. 
    • Was on Youtube for 2 hrs. 
    • Listened to car radio on way home. (NPR)
  • Tuesday: You tubed this morning for about 30minutes
    •  Piddled on facebook for 1 hr. (chat)
    • Listened to the radio on my way to school (NPR) 
    • Also saw several billboards.
  • Wednesday: Work Online (Banners)- 7hrs
  • Thursday: Youtubed 3 hrs (researching)
  • Friday: Listened to car Radio- 1hr
To begin this discussion, I must admit that I was surprised as the week progressed. The amount of "media exposure" I encountered was staggering. The most surprising factor in all of this is that I do not have cable tv. (It's a luxury I cant afford as a college student.) However, I apparently am missing out on little considering all the imagery and media output I have listed above.

I also found it interesting that websites themselves have advertisements in the forms of banners and links. Everyone is striving for business and to promote their opinion,service, or product. Even while working on Wednesday, I encountered a lot of ads. My job requires we use an online scheduling system. Along the sides and bottom of the webpage are constantly changing banners and ads. 

As mentioned I don't have cable. I do a lot of entertainment viewing on Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube. Hulu and Youtube have really been pushing for commercials prior to video viewing. Their services are free after all and require some way of generating revenue. The interesting thing though is the lack of correlation that one ad will have with the video being viewed.


Ultimately, advertisements seek to inform people of what is available or what others think. Charities and political organizations have been promoting themselves respectively. I myself am looking for ways to promote a small business venture.  In an almost completely networked world, where might we find ourselves in the next few years? Only time will tell. Wanna buy a costume from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment